The Australian Trumpet Guild is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1998 to promote communications among trumpet players around Australia and the world and to improve the artistic level of performance, teaching, and literature associated with the trumpet. (View the official ATG Constitution.)But why have such a body? Isn’t there already a fine organisation operating out of the USA, called the ITG?
The simple answer is yes, but our location and long distances within Australia present some major difficulties for trumpeters in trying to co-ordinate and develop trumpet playing and teaching standards . Taking the lead presented by the Europeans in forming EuroITG(now defunct), it was decided to see if there was an interest in forming our own, national body here in Australia.
When organising the 1998 Conference, we came up with objectives which have now been incorporated into ATG Constitution. They appear in the constitution as follows:
- further the ideals expressed in its Mission Statement
- operate as an affiliate chapter of the International Trumpet Guild (ITG).
- further the community of trumpet players
- encourage exchange of ideas between players
- encourage mutual support across the country - network with other trumpet players
- promote trumpet playing
- share common problems
- co-ordinate trumpet education across country - share news of visiting artists at conservatoria etc.
- arrange visits by master players and clinicians
- promote Australian compositions for trumpet
- produce an Australian journal
- encourage/set up “branches”, in all capital cities and major centres (as needed).
- run yearly conferences in Australia, shared between capital cities and aim for ITG conference in Australia
- run competitions for trumpet players
- establish scholarships
- defeat geographical impediment caused by ITG being based in USA
- address local issues, leading to world outlook
- affiliate with other similar associations
- such other objectives as the Board and Membership see fit, in the interests of the advancement of the trumpet and trumpet playing in Australia.
Management CommitteePresident: Brian Evans
Vice President: Elsa Brissenden
Secretary: Murray Bishop
Treasurer: Joel Brennan
Committee MembersDee Boyd